hedgehog adventures

Friday, May 13, 2005

Halo-halo

Let me tell you about halo-halo. It's a Filipino dessert and/or snack with all sorts of yummy sweet stuff at the bottom layer, topped with shaved or crushed ice, doused with milk, then topped with a dollop of ice cream. It's a perfect refreshing and filling snack. The bottom layer of sweet stuff varies but here are some possible ingredients: any type of sweet bean, jackfruit, tapioca balls, gelatin squares, sweet palm nuts (kaong), slivers of young coconut, ube (purple yam), pinipig (flattened rice crispies), leche flan (custard), etc. The name halo-halo means well-mixed. I'm not sure if it refers to the variety of stuff you put in it, or the fact that you have to mix the ice in with the sweet bottom stuff so that you get a little of everything with each mouthful. You eat this dessert/snack with a spoon.

For some reason, the Filipino restaurants and shops only sell this during the summer even though Jon and I keep telling them that we can eat it all year. I had my first halo-halo of the season last Wednesday, a huge helping of stuff in a little take-away bowl so I can eat it during my class. I can't wait to get my next one. Next Wednesday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home