hedgehog adventures

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Plantains

Today's food adventure involves oxtail stew and plantains. I grabbed an early lunch today and bought some takeaway from Ritz (caribbean food) in Roy's Square in the Yonge/Bloor area. I was in the neighbourhood for a meeting and instead of heading home immediately after, I decided to walk the old haunt (I used to work at Church and Charles back in the old Trader.com days).

Ritz did not open until 11 am so I stopped by the old Felix and Norton cookie place for some ebony and ivory cookies (buy six and there's no GST, said the lady behind the counter, which of course meant I had to purchase more than I wanted).

I've been having this craving for plantains lately. Fried plantains, sliced thinly, cooked until golden brown and until the edges are caramelized. Yummm. It's comfort food for me. Reminds me of my youth. I must buy some this weekend and cook some up for a snack.

Then there's the oxtail stew on rice and beans. Ever since Roxanne introduced me to this dish, I get frequent cravings for it. The rice today was a little on the starchy side --- could have been cooked a little longer I think, but the stew was awesome. Hearty, rich stew with lots of thyme sprigs for flavouring. Perfect for an overcast, rainy day like today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home