hedgehog adventures

Saturday, May 07, 2005

J Town

Went on a field trip with Catherine today. It was a fantastically bright and warm day, so we drove up the DVP with the sunroof wide open. It felt great to have my hair tousled by the wind and to feel sunshine! Finally, after that extended winter.

Catherine wanted to make some Japanese stuff, so I had to show her J Town shopping centre. It seemed like a long way to go for Japanese provisions, but once we got there, we made the trip worthwhile. On Catherine's list: bonito flakes, nori, soba noodles, sesame seeds, kewpie mayonnaise, rice, soya sauce, rice wine, and today's big find: Pocky for men. It said so in bold letters at the front of the packaging and we had to buy some. (Jon said that it was great -- dark chocolate and none of that girly strawberry stuff. )

My shopping list was a little shorter. Just needed some of the rice mixes and prepared curries. It is my little indulgence. Funny, whereas I scoff at the prepared stuff I see at Loblaws, for some reason, I am perversely drawn to attractively packaged Japanese prepared foods -- msg, sodium and all. I guess it's because it's a little exotic and I love the simplicity of it all. Just measure up some rice, empty the stuff in the freezer pack, steam rice for 20 minutes and voila! The rice is transformed into a full meal dish with seasonings, mushrooms and other prepared vegetables. As much as I love food, I get my lazy days when I feel like having something a little different without too much effort in the preparation. That's when these little packages come in handy.

While at J Town, we decided to have lunch at Toro. Catherine had a california roll and two shrimp tempura pieces. I went for the mixed sushi and grabbed a salmon rice roll. The packaging for the rice roll was quite ingenious. You had to rip up the middle plastic layer to expose the nori, which made it easier to wrap the nori around the rice. Quite excellent. All this with green tea for about $8 per person. Tempted as I was by the tempura, I had to give it a pass -- even those luscious-looking panko-covered fried oysters. Also had to pass on the unagi on rice and the tuna with curry.

We didn't buy any fish or seafood today. Mind you the squid looked mighty tempting, as well as the blackcod (meant to be cooked in broth I think).

We did not buy dessert in J Town. Went to Tropical Treats instead. More about ice cream another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home